Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
There is no 'snap to enemy construct' effect with explosions, including flak.
2017-09-12, 09:33 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-12 09:34 AM by BioPhoenix.)
Exclamation There is no 'snap to enemy construct' effect with explosions, including flak.
I have seen this repeated so many times. So I devised a scientific experiment to determine its veracity or lack thereof. The results were not shocking at all to anyone who's tried to use timed flak AA: Flak does not snap to constructs at all but can affect player avatars and missiles within its radius.

Step 1: Start land designer. Spawn this blueprint on land.

.blueprint  Nosnap_ally.blueprint (Size: 104.34 KB / Downloads: 11)

Step 2: Turn 180 degrees and spawn this blueprint, then activate its enemy simulator. It should be on the same level.

.blueprint  Nosnap_enemy.blueprint (Size: 90.39 KB / Downloads: 8)

Step 3: Wait for construct 1's weapon to load, scroll to weapon slot 'All', look up (preferably over construct 2), and hold that CTRL/middleclick button. Watch the fireworks. (Warning, possible lag from many explosions.)

The player avatar may die during step 3, and any missiles in the general vicinity will as well. However, Construct 2 will be blissfully unaffected despite being well within the nominal radius and made of glass and light.

Step 4: Stop repeating this rumor.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-12, 10:00 AM
RE: There is no 'snap to enemy construct' effect with explosions, including flak.
It has been confirmed by the devs that this is snap to enemy construct effect is not in game.

Procrastination level is over 9000
2017-09-12, 10:22 AM
RE: There is no 'snap to enemy construct' effect with explosions, including flak.
(2017-09-12 10:00 AM)Eagle Wrote:  It has been confirmed by the devs that this is snap to enemy construct effect is not in game.

I know. But despite that, people still continue to repeat it. So I made this experiment to help put this bizarrely persistent rumor in its grave - anyone can replicate it and see for themselves.
2017-09-12, 10:43 AM
> but can affect player avatars and missiles within its radius

so flack radius does matter for anti-missiles purposes? does it work for exploding enemy cram shells too?

gets high on math
2017-09-12, 01:40 PM
Thx for this thread. I read so many times that they `snap'...
2017-09-12, 02:06 PM
There's a bit of code that probably did that, but it must be broken.
I've seen the problem while playing with the explosions, but I haven't dug into that bit of code to see why it doesn't work.

One way to 'fix' it is to use a larger maximum radius for the explosions, which is why I didn't bother... I'm basically waiting for Nick to decide to extend the max radius as about 99% players are asking for.
2017-09-12, 09:05 PM
Snap?

This is the last meme.

[Image: TpjGhypPwrAxzQRwMQNv1hQdXZymrlRruKexYFXi...-h302-n-rw]
2017-09-13, 12:14 AM
(2017-09-12 10:43 AM)LoSboccacc Wrote:  > but can affect player avatars and missiles within its radius

so flack radius does matter for anti-missiles purposes? does it work for exploding enemy cram shells too?
That is correct. Large explosions can affect things with single hitboxes, including missiles and player avatars, if they're within the explosion's nominal blast radius. Presently flak explosions are simply large, weak explosions.

(2017-09-12 01:40 PM)Kreuzheber Wrote:  Thx for this thread. I read so many times that they `snap'...
You are welcome.

(2017-09-12 02:06 PM)Gladyon Wrote:  There's a bit of code that probably did that, but it must be broken.
I've seen the problem while playing with the explosions, but I haven't dug into that bit of code to see why it doesn't work.

One way to 'fix' it is to use a larger maximum radius for the explosions, which is why I didn't bother... I'm basically waiting for Nick to decide to extend the max radius as about 99% players are asking for.
That's interesting, so there's some basis for the rumor. I had heard that it was a planned feature but didn't know it was in the code at all, even if dummied out.

(2017-09-12 09:05 PM)Neldonax Wrote:  Snap?
If what I've disproved in this thread were true, flak explosions outside of 11m of a construct but within their nominal radius of that same construct would have their epicenters 'jump' to somewhere adjacent to the target and subtract the distance jumped from their radius... Or something. The behavior does not exist in game.
2017-09-13, 05:32 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-13 05:33 AM by Kreuzheber.)
even a flying squirrel can happily fly through a '120m' explosion radius of your AA gun without being really bothered if it isnt able to land a direct hit.
2017-09-13, 01:17 PM
While the flak has a large radius, the large radius only affects missiles and players. There is a smaller radius which DOES damage enemy constructs (or any constructs, including yours), but it is smaller.

2000mm HE dakka enthusiast.