Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Aubrey-Maturin Lodge (general discussions)
2017-07-16, 10:57 AM
The Aubrey-Maturin Lodge (general discussions)
Here you find yourselves, kindly sirs and ladies, at the Aubrey/Maturin Estates in the albionic highlands.

We hope you enjoy your stay, have a good time, and lead many fruitful and considerate discussions to your hearths content; All with goodly gentleman' s/gentlewoman's conduct of course.

Feel free to discuss campaign and age of sail related topics here.

What is your favourite battle from the Age of sails era?
Do you have a favourite captain or Admiral?
Do you have a favourite ship?
What is your favourite Action on the high seas?

"If you don't know what to do, there's actually a chance of doing something new"
-Philip Glass

"A god is a perfect excuse for the unexcusable"
- Salman Rushdie
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-16, 07:07 PM
RE: The Aubrey-Maturin Lodge (general discussions)
I see you succesfully obtained forums, next step i would recommend is to request Submission forums (Like i have) so it will be easier to organize submissions from people.

I should take a closer look at this campaign after i get back from vacation, looks interesting. I, myself tried to make a Age of Sail campaign, but sadly i found myself incapable of making nice looking ships so i turned to tanks (and thats were i stuck)

[Image: vP4vDHc.png]

Check out my Zrytix, Land RTS
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-07-17, 06:35 PM
(2017-07-16 07:07 PM)mrvecz Wrote:  I see you succesfully obtained forums, next step i would recommend is to request Submission forums (Like i have) so it will be easier to organize submissions from people.

I should take a closer look at this campaign after i get back from vacation, looks interesting. I, myself tried to make a Age of Sail campaign, but sadly i found myself incapable of making nice looking ships so i turned to tanks (and thats were i stuck)

Thanks! That's not the worst idea I suppose. I took a quick look at how you organised yours and that would make sense. Wink

Well, there's still some work to be done but it's playable. I do not expect a huge influx of community designs however. As it is, the campaign is quite niche and not very well known I think. The number of people who would want to share a design is even smaller I suppose.

I hope you have a very nice vacation then, and fun with the campaign once you get back!

"If you don't know what to do, there's actually a chance of doing something new"
-Philip Glass

- Salman Rushdie
2017-07-24, 04:55 PM
Could you please create a thread where i can post vehicle feedback

I would create it myself... but this are your forums.

2017-07-25, 10:10 PM
sorry, only noticed this here now; I'll make the thread statim.

-Philip Glass

- Salman Rushdie
2017-07-26, 09:02 PM
Could you please turn on players invincibility in designer game modes ?

2017-07-27, 07:12 PM
What changes does that make? does that make the avatar unkillable?

Also, I took a quick peek into the land fleet issue you mentioned. I thought of trying to mannually adjust the design's speeds, but that won' t work. and they are stuck at 3 m/s. I tweaked the spawn rates of various HQ's to try and prevent this issue. I hope that will help to some extend.

I' ll try to see whether I can figure out a better solution, but I have no ideas at the moment.

-Philip Glass

- Salman Rushdie
2017-07-29, 10:54 PM
So far i am using Ironclads to fight and i am slicing through the starting enemy one fleet after another, i did had a hickup when i engaged the first HQ-produced fleet where 1. rate ship ? i think spawned full broadside on my Ironclad and knocked it out of action

However i found quite a fatal flaw, that so far what i met, is very, very short-range. My Ironclad with forward turret could fire at them at + 2km range and due to Sail ship dragging their feet, they couldnt dodge that CRAM
And when my ship did finally get to close range to use its broadside weaponry, all of the ships so far i met have weak armour piercing capabilities (So they couldnt damage the Ironclad fast enough before they got wrecked)

[Image: fxe5nf5.jpg]

2017-07-31, 10:28 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-07-31 10:31 PM by mrvecz.)
Are shields and shield-ignoring weapons considered fair to use against enemy designs ?

Well, for hell, they seems to enjoy using them, particle cannons, offensive lasers, shields.... against my old Ironclads who have no weapons to break trough shields so i had to commit to boarding... oh boy.
(Unrelated picture about shields, showing the dragons laser breath)
[Image: 6zqP8De.jpg]

2017-08-01, 04:31 PM
sorry to only get back to you now, Mrvec!

Between an upcoming resit at university and other concerns I haven't been as about as much I might have wished.

To answer the few questions (and keep them coming, it's helpful in fixing stuff for me!);

The starting faction is deliberately quite weak in any case. But since they themselves have very few turret mounted weapons or only a few designs with proper non-simple cannon broadsides, building Ironclad warships with siege-level crams is pretty close to a hard counter.

Later factions use the onyx watch sailing ships, plenty of turrets, shielding and APS broadsides as well as (yes, sorry) more particle cannons, and many of them are set to try and counter shields through their munitions. The castle dreadnoughts of the habsburg have munition defenses in some cases.
As such, using shields is viable and against tougher foes and a sort of neccesity later on. Normally, the player shouldn't use offensive lasers. This might get changed (see Archimedes prototype sun lenses from popular ancient fiction), but that would make a lot of overhauling mandatory. As I said, I do not have a quick pace of development and this campaign is a one man effort.

I left most of the Naval Ai's in the ships set to broadside at 250 meters. It will be a chore, but I should then maybe set it to 500-750 on all of them. I hope that will make them fight more effectively.
And yes, they are quite slow. And vulnerable to high calibre Crams. I don't think that will be fixed honestly. I sort of choose to go with a more thematic route at the cost of the effeciency of the AI designs, so most ships that do surpass the conventions I put upon myself with will turn most of them into so much jet and flotsam.
Nevermind that I suck at actually optimising things I build. hehe...

It's not unexpected that you should breeze through the spanish though. If things are far to simple even later on, I might decrease the fleet point costs of most mid-level ships to simply increase the amount of enemies as a short term solution.

But I also need to balance the fact that a lot of more casual players will be playing, next to veterans like yourself (out of the 100+ subscribers).

I am going to wait to see what you wish to reply, and then I'll try to form a concensus in my head.

-Philip Glass

- Salman Rushdie