Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Shield Stacking?
2017-01-23, 04:14 PM
Shield Stacking?
Can anyone point me to a link of how to shield stack now?
I find it incredibly hard to deal with higher tier enemy's that have inertial HEAT or Frags.. Miss the days where power 1 disrupt shields were a thing.
Cant seem to find any results through the search function, thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-01-23, 04:24 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-01-23 04:26 PM by ARCAGNELL0.)
RE: Shield Stacking?
Here you go, it's my totorial on how to get up to 4 consecutive shield layers only using shield projectors forming a perfect line.

Added to that, you could also obtain more layering by using butterfly shielding like in this picture (it's a WIP of my newest overhaul) and inegrate it into the system showcased by my tutorial. You could get up to absurd levels of layering doing that.

P.S: You can also get shield thru other shields' projections if it's on a subconstructable (spinblock, turret) but that's rightfully considered as an exploit.

P.S 2 HEAT is basically uncounterable with just shields, use heavy armor and ERA. Inertial frag shells require you to have two separate reflect layers going on

I do not apply murder to the vehicle, the murder has the vehicle built around it! -ARCAGNELL0

"If there is no struggle, there is no progress" -Frederick Douglass

(2017-01-23 04:32 PM)Shade Wrote:  I think you can basically stack infinite shields in an arc
2017-01-23, 04:32 PM
I think you can basically stack infinite shields in an arc

[Image: atomic-mushroom-cloud-explosion-2-2.gif]
(2017-01-25 04:40 PM)Ramble6 Wrote:  potato wedges anyone?
2017-01-23, 04:35 PM
(2017-01-23 04:32 PM)Shade Wrote:  I think you can basically stack infinite shields in an arc

That is so funny and accurate I had to include it in my signature, thanks Tongue

I do not apply murder to the vehicle, the murder has the vehicle built around it! -ARCAGNELL0

2017-01-23, 05:02 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-01-23 05:25 PM by amimai.)
you just need to play around with angling, no need to use subconstructs
see the attached blueprint for an example of a 2 layer, 4 layer, and 9 layer shield

shield layering can make things of beauty, like crystal flowers of pure invulnerability:
[Image: 62d6c4aa33.png]

you can use shorter shields to protect the spaces between the larger shields, allowing for countless layers of shields to be placed in a small space

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Shield layering 2.blueprint (Size: 47.4 KB / Downloads: 33)

in god we trust all others bring data.
Bad Ideas : For !!SCIENCE!!
2017-01-25, 11:49 PM
Arch's quadruple shields is no more. We have 9 layers!

[Image: atomic-mushroom-cloud-explosion-2-2.gif]
(2017-01-25 04:40 PM)Ramble6 Wrote:  potato wedges anyone?
2017-01-26, 01:18 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-01-26 01:20 AM by ARCAGNELL0.)
(2017-01-25 11:49 PM)Shade Wrote:  Arch's quadruple shields is no more. We have 9 layers!

My shield system makes use of only one plain, wich makes it applicable on any surface of any unit given it's got space for the shield projectors. It can also easily be combined with the butterfly shielding amimai thinks he's the only one capable of doing.

P.S. that is only 9 layers in the in-between point between the projectors, it is less anywhere else, calling it 9 layer shielding because it's got a spot with 9 layers would equal to calling Hitler a good man only because he was veggetarian.

P.S. 2: you don't need nearly as many shield layers. Two reflect shield layers are enough to heavily reduce or outright negate most shell types given you place one as far from your vehicle as possible to sort of counter HEAT. One L. Absorb layer is enough unless you're fighting very powerful layers that draw so much battery power you need two shields to absorb them properly. That amounts to 4 layers. Case closed.

Go any further than those values and the mere RP cost and engine power requirements will be enough to discourage it. As a closing note: don't think multiple very low intensity reflect layers are superior to two medium intensity ones. Low velocity shells will go thru those much more often making their usability lacking despite the efforts.

2017-01-26, 04:24 PM
Looking at Arcs Shielding makes me want to suggest angling the inner layer of reflects at 45* to the outer ones. Yes that'll take a bit more power, but having them set like that will force enemy shots to hit a layer at a minimum of 22.5* which makes it far more likely that they'll bounce. Having a 3rd layer of reflects set to the opposite would be even better, since that forces a min angle of 45* on most shots, at which point even low powered shields will trigger most shells.

Finally, @Arcagnello, would it be possible to place 2 rows of these shields 1-2blocks apart vertically, then angle them both to form a wedge, with both sets of shields angled slightly to allow all the shields to form, before overlapping further out? cause that would give an enormous amount of protection if done right... I think it could present a region where there are 8 layers of overlapped shields at max, though 5/7 would probably be enough if you didn't want to overlap the laser shields and innermost reflects.
2017-01-26, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-01-26 04:36 PM by ARCAGNELL0.)
(2017-01-26 04:24 PM)Pyrotech51 Wrote:  Looking at Arcs Shielding makes me want to suggest angling the inner layer of reflects at 45* to the outer ones. Yes that'll take a bit more power, but having them set like that will force enemy shots to hit a layer at a minimum of 22.5* which makes it far more likely that they'll bounce. Having a 3rd layer of reflects set to the opposite would be even better, since that forces a min angle of 45* on most shots, at which point even low powered shields will trigger most shells.

Finally, @Arcagnello, would it be possible to place 2 rows of these shields 1-2blocks apart vertically, then angle them both to form a wedge, with both sets of shields angled slightly to allow all the shields to form, before overlapping further out? cause that would give an enormous amount of protection if done right... I think it could present a region where there are 8 layers of overlapped shields at max, though 5/7 would probably be enough if you didn't want to overlap the laser shields and innermost reflects.

Yeah it definetly is possible, but you'd spend a lot of power doing that and it would be near impossible to put EMP protection on them all wich would lead to EMP destroying the rows with ease.

The only unit in neter with 4-layer shielding is the Meteor and it needed to cover as muh surface area at the front to gain near immunity from most faction vehicles, I ended up with placing them perfectly perpendicular from the front for that very reason and their very high intensity makes it so that it's almost as angle didn't matter at all. Angling works very well but the bigger your vehicle is the more you'll have to give that up just to cover it well. You should go for it as long as you have the engine power but as I said before 4 layers is all you need, going further than that with angling is mostly a waste of engine power/time, as the only shell type that won't bounce off/trigger on a high intensity reflect shield is CRAM, and that one is minced up by LAMS.

I'd consider making a heavy use of angling to be the last resort in shielding if you can't get your shield strenght above 6-7 and you need the best possible protection nevertheless. get your shield intensity over 8 and it will just boil down to making sure the front of your vehicle is fully covered and the reflect layer is far enough to at elast mitigate inertial HE/HEAT damage. It's also much easier to do and to apply, wich is nice considering how a pain in the ass shielding is.

2017-01-26, 05:06 PM
Fair enough. I haven't done much messing around with these new shields at high power levels yet (most of the time I'm on a shoestring power budget and trying to get as much performance as possible out of 3-5 power shields on a small craft), and I've never really played around much with disruptors either.

When I mentioned angling the first time, it was with respect to a 4 layered scheme (angling the inner reflects to alternating 45* slopes so that the inner layer looks corrugated), as that would only add a multiplier of 1.41 onto the surface area covered by the lowest cost layer of shielding (lesser angles wouldn't even add this much), and 22.5* at minimum is still a fairly decent angle when it comes to boosting reflect chances.