From The Depths - Forum
Strategic Radar Range on Smaller Maps - Printable Version

+- From The Depths - Forum (http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Community (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Custom Campaigns (/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Strategic Radar Range on Smaller Maps (/showthread.php?tid=32916)

Strategic Radar Range on Smaller Maps - CrimeanChimera - 2018-01-12 10:01 AM

How do you increase the strategic radar range on smaller campaign maps? I made a smaller 7x7 map and noticed that strategic radar coverage is significantly reduced to such an extent that the largest radars barely covers 5000m.

Can this be changed or is it just a limitation of smaller maps?

RE: Strategic Radar Range on Smaller Maps - ciaranhappy - 2018-01-14 07:59 AM

As far as I know you cant.
Also might I suggest asking these questions elsewhere on the forums? this part of the forums is quite barren and you questions are unlikely to be answered by anyone who aint me or Mrvecs.

RE: Strategic Radar Range on Smaller Maps - mrvecz - 2018-01-14 05:08 PM

(2018-01-12 10:01 AM)CrimeanChimera Wrote:  How do you increase the strategic radar range on smaller campaign maps? I made a smaller 7x7 map and noticed that strategic radar coverage is significantly reduced to such an extent that the largest radars barely covers 5000m.

Can this be changed or is it just a limitation of smaller maps?

I didnt know thats a thing. I thought its the same, just that it matters with alt and number of dishes, not by map proportions.

You can disable fog of war, if its that small map then it might not be even needed... Unless you want to surprise the player.

Also i think theres a skill that boosts the radar range but i am not sure about that, cant check atm.

RE: Strategic Radar Range on Smaller Maps - Skyer - 2018-01-15 06:43 AM

There is a skill to increase radar range dont remember which one.

RE: Strategic Radar Range on Smaller Maps - CrimeanChimera - 2018-01-15 08:53 AM

I just changed the map back to Neter dimensions and fixed the terrain, it's a bit oversized now for what I planned but strategic radar range is back to what I'm used to again.

It is indeed related to map proportions, not only radar range is affected but supply range as well. To test, load the Neter campaign and spawn in a radar site or satellite and take note of the range. Then edit the map and decrease the number of boards to about 7x7 and save it under a test name. Then start a campaign on the edited map and spawn in the same radar or satellite, the range will be significantly reduced.

I also noticed that the map doesn't have to be squared 15x15 boards like Neter to have the same radar range, only the length or width of your map needs to be the same. If your map is 7x15 or 15x7 boards for example, you'll still have the same radar range as on Neter. Adding more than 15 boards actually increases radar range. Ordinary in-game detection ranges remains unaffected, it only applies to strategic/campaign functions.

Also, if you make a smaller map, the boards may appear larger but, they're still 5000m across.