From The Depths - Forum
Time for a new Tournament? - Printable Version

+- From The Depths - Forum (http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Alpha (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: General discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Forum: Tournaments (/forumdisplay.php?fid=117)
+---- Thread: Time for a new Tournament? (/showthread.php?tid=31518)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Time for a new Tournament? - Zebgef - 2017-11-14 09:48 PM

Hi All,

I've been considering running another tournament after the success(?) of the Fauxi Offensive (http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=30559) - I've been putting it off because it's super time consuming and I have so much stuff I want to do and never enough time. But, with Menti going on indefinite hiatus, maybe it's time to make time (if you read this Menti, I hope things work out for you, and thanks for running all those great tournaments).

So, I've had some ideas for possible tournaments that I'd like to run. If I get enough interest, I'll put up a poll to pick the most popular one. Realistically it could be a while before any videos go up.

Anyway, on to the ideas:

Idea 1: Fauxbi Offensive II: This Time It's Planned!

Basically, a modified version of the Fauxbi Offensive. The main thing I'd want to change is to simplify the rules a little, and reduce the distance over which the battles are fought.

With that In mind I propose that I'd set the max distance to 1.5km, but also have a rule that all LWCs have a max distances of 1km. This should give aircraft a chance to be able to manoeuvre, but force everyone to keep fairly close.

Also, I would scrap the Division types, and instead set a rule that your force must consist of at least 3 unit types, with no unit type making up more than 60% of your force.

Idea 2: Build a SPACE SHIP!

I can't think of a tournament set in space - why? Probably because it's a pain. But I have an idea - everyone builds their space ship, and I attach it to a giant spawn stick that makes it spawn in space. I need to test this idea out before I commit to this, but it should work. I want to go fairly light on rules for this, mostly just banning exploity stuff and trying to make sure the battles are interesting to watch (no constantly running forward broadsides).

I'm considering making this either one single space-battleship OR having some kind of mothership + fighters arrangement.

Pretty open to suggestions on mats limit, rules ideas, etc.

Idea 3: Sci-fi battleship Brawl

Basically, pretty similar to battleship brawl but with FAR less restrictions on the weapons. I'm expecting massive APS based carnage mostly.

Idea 4: Random team battle

So, this idea could be combined with any of the above. The idea is that people would register interest in the tournament, and then I would randomly assign people to teams of 3-4 people who would then have to work together to create their team (everyone would have to submit at least one thing). I think it would be good to get people working together, sharing ideas and maybe the more experienced people helping out the newer players. Even if it's just reviewing BPs, offering tips etc.

So, that was a wall of text. Any feedback is welcome (well, constructive feedback about the ideas that is). Like I said there's no rush on this, but if I get decent interest it will definitely happen.

If you have ideas for totally different tournaments that you'd like me to consider, please PM the details - I promise I'll consider it!

RE: Time for a new Tournament? - Char_charodon - 2017-11-14 10:02 PM

A team battle would be interesting. could be called *collab carnage* or something of the sort

RE: Time for a new Tournament? - SPD - 2017-11-14 10:07 PM

Idea 1:
Well, even if you simplify the rules, the complexity of all the different classes and stuff, I don't think I'd enter that one.

Idea 2:
The space is kinda wonky, isn't it in FtD? I think it's better to stick to standart water, air or land.

Idea 3:
I'd actually like that, I find it the most appealing out of the 4 ideas you've posted.

Idea 4:
The idea is awesome, but I think that team battle would work better with TheJimmer's format (All players submit designs, and the designs are randomly put in teams)

And personally, I'd preffer just a small tournament, perhaps a land or air one, up to 30-50k mats max. People would enter that as building this small craft wouldn't take too long time.

RE: Time for a new Tournament? - Zebgef - 2017-11-14 10:14 PM

(2017-11-14 10:07 PM)SPD Wrote:  Idea 1:
Well, even if you simplify the rules, the complexity of all the different classes and stuff, I don't think I'd enter that one.

Idea 2:
The space is kinda wonky, isn't it in FtD? I think it's better to stick to standart water, air or land.

Idea 3:
I'd actually like that, I find it the most appealing out of the 4 ideas you've posted.

Idea 4:
The idea is awesome, but I think that team battle would work better with TheJimmer's format (All players submit designs, and the designs are randomly put in teams)

And personally, I'd preffer just a small tournament, perhaps a land or air one, up to 30-50k mats max. People would enter that as building this small craft wouldn't take too long time.

Well, if I made it a team game I'd probably want to limit each vehicle to about 75k mats at most to keep performance acceptable.

And the main reason for assigning teams first is so you can actually work together to make a team that works together, rather than a random hodge-podge that may or may not make sense. Also, I think i'd try and mix up skill levels across the teams so the more experienced players can help out the newbies. No idea how well that would work in reality, but I'd like to try.

RE: Time for a new Tournament? - Kaonicping - 2017-11-14 11:01 PM

1: Sounds good. If it's basically Fauxbi but with less 5km engagements and more team variety, I'm in Smile. Personally I think Fauxbi's material limit was too high, 20 vehicles on a team basically guarantees a clusterfuck at some point.

2: Until recently I'd have said that would be a terrible idea since damaged spaceships tend to drift off into oblivion, but with the gravity changes I seriously think this has potential. One issue though is how crazy fast spaceships can be, and AFAIK APS guns don't take into account the varying gravity, so it would probably end up a bit too focused around hitscan. If you put a fairly low max speed (eg 40m/s) then it should be good. I like the idea of fighters, but more than about 3 and it just becomes a clusterfuck as before.

3: I love me some APS-based carnage Big Grin. I'm not too keen on big vehicles or ships though, so I might not enter.

4: I really like this idea. I'm not so sure about how well it would work in practice though, with people having very different times at which they are free, and people possibly dropping out and ruining it for their team. Perhaps each team could be assigned a 'leader' (with people opting-in at the start to be a leader), who works out the vehicle make-up of the entry and tells his/her subordinates for example 'make a 15k materials tank firing ejectored HESH'. It would be the team leader's job to check that the vehicles submitted by the team function well, meet the rules etc. and give advice on how to improve vehicles, as well as possibly doing some building themself.

I think there would need to be some structure like this to make sure vehicles work well together as a team. But I guess when it comes to collabs, we should ask the collab people in the Fauxbi offensive how they did it.

Overall, I too would like to see a fairly low materials limit as building a BB Brawl-sized entry is a formidable amount of work and basically I cba. I would like to see land or possibly space, but basically I'm just getting bored of sea battles. Tongue So I say a combination of (1) and (4).

RE: Time for a new Tournament? - Branjoman - 2017-11-14 11:18 PM

I really like the team collab idea, sounds really cool - like Team Deathmatch from T3hJimmer, but with more planning.

RE: Time for a new Tournament? - Kreuzheber - 2017-11-14 11:26 PM

Im all in for Fauxbi Part II. I really liked the combined arms thingy although I think it would be much more interesting if it would be a land only tournament with a small amount of possible air support units like Helicpoters or smallish fighters.
No Airborne Divisions so the main action would be happening on the ground.

To avoid the mentioned clusterfuck there should be a max vehicle count like 10-12 with the same material limit, which would also encourage people to build more sophisticated and/or armored vehicles.

The 3 different vehicles minimum & 60% rules sound resonable to have some variety and to prevent people from fielding Triple AAA Utra Mega Boss unit spams.

Space Ship tournament sounds cool too but Im not too well with things in space. Id probably give it a try anyways.

Scifi BB Brawl sounds also cool but would be my third pick ^^

4rd idea: meh, idk.. Smile

RE: Time for a new Tournament? - NutterChap - 2017-11-14 11:46 PM

Point 4, especially the focus on building as a team, is nice. It really is and if youve never built something together, or at least with some people on the lteral same team to exchange ideas, you should try it. It's fun and can learn a lot from it. I would propose to put the major meta builders like draba ferram slimpickens blothorn and their likes as team captains. It should be good for the overall community's knowledge level, if anything.

The futurustic BBbrawl isnt my cup of tea. Fauxbi 2 would be too timeconsuming and prohibitively complex, and Im not convinced this is the right game for proper spaceship shenanigans. Id go with a 'team makes carrier + attack drones' thing.

RE: Time for a new Tournament? - Zebgef - 2017-11-15 12:22 AM

So, lots of good feedback so far.

Regarding the Fauxbi Offensive being too complex, I think the simplified rules I'm thinking of make it pretty straightforward. I see it working like this:

There are a set of different vehicle classes (Armoured, support, Aircraft, Helicopter or Gunship. Each one has some fairly straightforward limitations (only armoured can use HA, only aircraft and gunships can use jet propulsion, etc - it's going to be simpler than FO season 1).

Each entry must contain vehicles from at least 3 classes, and no class can make up more than 50% of the vehicles in the entry. Realistically that's a minimum of 3 vehicles that are about 20k mats each. You can make more if you want, but you really don't need to. I will probably set a limit of about 10-12 vehicles per entry and a total mats limit of 200k. To me that sounds easier to build for than say Battleship Brawl.

If I decide to add the collaborative team element to this then I'd just add the rules that each team member must have designed at least 1 of the entries, and their entry or entries must make up at least 20% of the overall force mats.

Does that sound workable?

RE: Time for a new Tournament? - Zebgef - 2017-11-15 12:24 AM

(2017-11-14 11:46 PM)NutterChap Wrote:  Point 4, especially the focus on building as a team, is nice. It really is and if youve never built something together, or at least with some people on the lteral same team to exchange ideas, you should try it. It's fun and can learn a lot from it. I would propose to put the major meta builders like draba ferram slimpickens blothorn and their likes as team captains. It should be good for the overall community's knowledge level, if anything.

Well, if they want to be part of this tournament then I'd definitely make them team captains (or any other experienced high-level tournament participant).