From The Depths - Forum
APS balance idea. - Printable Version

+- From The Depths - Forum (http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Alpha (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: APS balance idea. (/showthread.php?tid=30788)

APS balance idea. - Shaun - 2017-10-12 02:54 AM

For anyone who likes ships with broadsides, or just a plethora of smaller calibers, you know how annoying it is that all your little guns cost so much when a huge dakka turret with more that twice the DPS of all your guns combined is cheaper. My balance idea is simple; lower the price of firing pieces, mantlets and barrels, and maintain or raise the price of gauge increasers, coolers, and loaders. Now you can have your little 150mm broadside at the same or lower cost than a dakka twin turret.

RE: APS balance idea. - Blothorn - 2017-10-12 06:06 PM

That is a remarkably good idea. You need to make sure that the mantlets, especially, remain too expensive to be practical as armor given their superb stats, but I much support this.

Although I think increasing the cost of gauge increasers and coolers would be counterproductive--gauge increasers are essentially a fixed cost per cannon, like firing pieces/barrels, and due to the exponential nature of coolers they tend to form a larger portion of total cost in moderate-sized guns than superguns. I would probably leave coolers alone and lower gauge increasers somewhat.

RE: APS balance idea. - Skyer - 2017-10-12 06:25 PM

Making Mantlets cheaper is a bad Idea as everyone will spam them on the sides of they're vessels for armor

RE: APS balance idea. - draba - 2017-10-12 06:46 PM

Only 3x3 mantlet has good enough stats to be considered for cheese.
Since it isn't structural IMO its cost could be cut in half and metal would be still much better as armor.

RE: APS balance idea. - Blothorn - 2017-10-12 06:58 PM

Yes--while there was a rash of it a while ago, it was only on faction designs built to blockcount but not cost restrictions. It does impose a lower bound, but there is plenty of room to change things still.