From The Depths - Forum
General infos + steam link - Printable Version

+- From The Depths - Forum (http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Community (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Custom Campaigns (/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+---- Forum: Imperium: Age of sails (/forumdisplay.php?fid=219)
+---- Thread: General infos + steam link (/showthread.php?tid=28881)

General infos + steam link - Carolus Magnus - 2017-07-16 11:17 AM

Steam workshop link:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=832462874

General Infos

You will find this campaign does a few ever so slightly differently from neter, the obvious asides (we' ll get to that later).

first of all; You start out bang in the middle of the map. You are surrounded by a serious amount of factions who are suspicious at best and out for your blood at worst. HELP!
But at the start of the campaign, only the Manduelans will be coming for you. They have a small 1st wave fleet some way out of your start fortress, and a harder 2nd wave halfway across the world.
The first wave can be beaten rather safely with only your fortress and starting ship. that said, you have plenty of time to build a ship of your own before the Inquisition arrives. After that, you are free to do as you wish!

secondly; there are quite a few resource zones spread across the map; Fewer than neter all in all; but where these differ, is that they all are infinite. Albeit with a very low growth rate.

As such, every resource zone you capture will offer an infinite small addition to your income. Your starting resource zone has quite a better growth however.

Thridly; Like in the ashes of the empire campaign, there is no design difficulty slider. All the design are set at easy difficulty, and that is what the campaign is set to automatically.

Fourthly, and perhaps most remarkable; Both land and water tiles are fully playable, with each sporting dedicated factional land designs and navy designs!
Grabbed a port? Invade the mainland next!

With the small stuff out of the way;
You will have noticed this is an age of sails campaign ... (no shite!)
As such, most AI designs are broadsiding sailing ships if they aren' t pre-dreadnoughts or ironclads or steam tanks.
The campaign imposes a few limits as such

-No missiles. Only the scantest few AI designs use missiles in a very sparing fashion. These are not available to the player.
-No Railguns. this goes without saying I imagine
-No PIDS. @$%£&! dude, how will I balance my ship now?! The old way, obviously.
-No Aim point selection. Your ship will fire at the enemy in a way that targets random blocks, and not in a way that beelines straight to the ammo and ai's. Why? Cinematic quality and accuracy.
-No Lasers. Should go without saying (but you can have particle cannons, aka, lightning and magic rays Smile )
-No internal combustion engines, only steam power. this also simulates fleet upkeep quite nicely
-No Aerial AI' s (up for change with the sky faction)
-Automatic detection. The ai is broken without this.

The reasons for most of these choices should be fairly obvious.
It should be noted that if you do not adhere to the theme, this campaign will be naturally quite easy to hard-counter and beat. As such, it relies for a large part upon fair player conduct to work well. I do not expect this to be a big problem however. If you set about playing an age of sails custom campaign, I take it you do want to be playing an age of sails custom campaign.