From The Depths - Forum
Armoring - Printable Version

+- From The Depths - Forum (http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Alpha (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Questions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Armoring (/showthread.php?tid=27671)

Armoring - weetbix39 - 2017-04-20 09:29 PM

Hey all,

I've been away from the game for awhile and have recently got back into it. Apparently there have been some serious changes to how armoring works since I last played?

How does the new armoring mechanics work with the layering of various armor pieces does it add the values, multiply them? Is it only for AP or does it include HP too? Are airspaces needed or is that a moot point.

What is the best defense against HE?

What is the best defense against Frag?

What is the best defense against Shaped Charges?

What is the best defense against kinetic?

How to shields work now? What kind of craft should I put them on, what settings should I use to defend from each different kind of shell?

Thanks in advance,

RE: Armoring - Fernir - 2017-04-27 02:13 PM

Generally thickest armor possible. Example
Shell==>M*1-4 HA W A*2-4 M
I think this setup is good against anything that is not an overkill
Armor stacking gives AC bonus based on distance so that M before HA is almost as tough as HA but has less HP and is way cheaper

RE: Armoring - Lincrono - 2017-04-28 01:17 PM

the best defense against Frags and Kinetic are a double layer of 3-4 strength shields. This is relatively inexpensive and available to even small ships.

The best defense vs HE is heavy armor OR a shield layer far from your ship, layered armor is also an option. usually Heavy Armor and layered armor are easy but distant shields require a strong engine.

currently the best defense against HEAT is to have No APS systems and to have very thick armor and a ship with no air spaces. usually only meta craft can achieve this.

All these may change with the upcoming shield and armor patch. In particular shields currently stop fast projectiles and the new system will not be based on speed.

RE: Armoring - BioPhoenix - 2017-05-02 12:03 AM

(2017-04-28 01:17 PM)Lincrono Wrote:  currently the best defense against HEAT is to have No APS systems and to have very thick armor and a ship with no air spaces. usually only meta craft can achieve this.

CRAM cannons are just as vulnerable to HEAT as APS - more so really, since APS can at least mitigate the danger with direct-feed systems or ejectors. Laser cavity systems can be easily perforated by HEAT jets as well, although they at least are not so explosive. The only weapon systems to have no vulnerability to HEAT jets at all are missiles, simple weapons and direct-feed APS.

RE: Armoring - Blothorn - 2017-05-02 12:56 AM

IIRC APS with enclosed autoloaders is immune to HEAT jets directly; accounts of HEAT popping APS tulrrets are probably mainly from fragments destroying parts directly on unarmored turrets. (Although the open, HEAT-vulnerable clips are still remarkably popular given that they are I think across-the-board worse unless you like seeing your shells.)

RE: Armoring - draba - 2017-05-02 09:00 AM

Right now the best armor scheme is stone outer layer over 1-2 layers of HA triangles. That gives a lot of HP that's cheap to repair and still has very high armor.
Use thinner stone if you want to focus on defense against HE/frags, only need the thickness to prevent kinetic penetration.
If you want to tank CRAMs without shields add some metal in between, something like 2m stone/2m metal/2m HA.
The only somewhat effective defense against HEAT is ERA, armor won't help.

After(if ever Smile ) the patch hits looks like it'll be metal/alloy spam with stone coating, with the heaviest things having HA beams behind them.
With the shield/APS changes HEAT should be an annoyance at worst, but if you really want to you can try to use air gaps against it.

(2017-05-02 12:56 AM)Blothorn Wrote:  IIRC APS with enclosed autoloaders is immune to HEAT jets directly; accounts of HEAT popping APS tulrrets are probably mainly from fragments destroying parts directly on unarmored turrets. (Although the open, HEAT-vulnerable clips are still remarkably popular given that they are I think across-the-board worse unless you like seeing your shells.)

Wait, the solid clips aren't vulnerable to HEAT jets?
I almost exclusively use armored ones and didn't notice anything like that.
With autoloaders/inputs starting full we'll probably forget about clips entirely though, they're just too big a pain for a marginal RPM increase.
2-8m loaders aren't that expensive and removing the massive explosion liability is well worth some extra materials.