From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: Another Missile Sugestion thread [Subcomponent Missile System]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So after the announcement of Missile overhaul to come at some point I though about some ways of overhauling it aswell, in a, well a bit different way then the Missile overhaul mod does.

instead of being missiles, it would more be like Advanced Missile system (AMS)Big Grin
Now named Subcomponent Missile System [SMS] as of Suggestion from Khaz Smile

Main Idea - Subcomponents
So the main difference would be that A missile is build out of Subcomponents instead of just single Components Each Subcomponent consisting of: Core-Skin-Outer layer.
You would build Subcomponents in a prefab way where you can select: what Module for the Core Skin and outside and the length of the Subcomponent (or Ratio in Calibers), Some components having a minimum length (a bigger missile (wider Diameter) would have lover minimum length because you have more space to the sides instead of just forward and back)

Missile Scaling/Amount
Second thing do the Scaling for amount of Tubes/Gantries like on an APS that you can set caliber, and a certain amount of barrels having a maximum gantries, for example: 1 gantry has 1m diam, 4 gantries have 0.5m, 16 gantries have 0.25m gantries, etc, up to something like 20-50 gantries per block. even at 64 gantries you would still have 0.125m missiles
2x2,3x3 racks for Sure aswell, maybe 1x2 Racks aswell for Cruise missiles.

the Loading System
The loading should also have some backpart possibly, like Autoloaders or rotating tubes, (IRL you can only reload with a big crane while out of combat anyways Big Grin)
Like a Subcomponent loader, this loader has to be longer then every subcomponent (or most of if you have a bigger loader aswell) of the missile, which then puts these Subcomponents into the Missile gantry
assembling it slowly.
the second one could be Rotating tubes, like when you don't have enough deckspace to put all missiles in it, you have a rotating tube that then after one missile fires, rotates and then be able to fire again. the tube that is in non fire position in that case would be assembled by the subcomponent loaders.

in the Q menu
Subcomponents should be saved as prefabs, to build you missiles out of, make then like 5 subfolders┬┐ for: Build Subcomponent; Premade Subcomponents; Own Subcomponents; Save Missile; load Missile

Modules for the Subcomponents:
When I mentioned something as expensive I mean it as uses more ammo than normal components

Core: Computers, Fuel, Tracking devices(Seekers: Radar(Active; Passive; Semi-active), IR, Laser,), Center (rear) Thruster nozzle, Decoupler, Warheads

Skin/Wall:Light Metal(The normal material), Hardened Skin (for extra HP against LAMS/CIWS and for Penetrations, Heavier), Radome (More expensive very weak, but can house a radar Seeker behind it, something like this for the IR seeker aswell) , Stealth skin (More expensive and a little more drag, but decreases the Detection range of the missile), Fragmentation ring (Heavy, expensive, Create extra Drag and Very detectable adds extra fragmentation to HE warheads)

Outside: Fins(possibly 3 types, with different drag, maneuverability), Booster Nozzles, Wings (Use Core space because the have to be folded, inside the Launch Tubes), Laser Beam Riding Receiver,

Any other Ideas for components and other things?
The biggest problem with this thread especially, but all missile suggestions to some extent, is that it adds further complexity to a system in part designed for simplicity and as a starter weapon. This would work good as an additional system, sorta like lasers to PACs.

As far as your scaling suggestion, I suggest that there be larger systems as well.

As far as the skin/wall, I think that it should apply to the whole missile, with perhaps the Radome being an extra part of the detection piece which fits in the middle.

I'm not so sure about the loading thing, but my idea is thus: You have a missile fabricator, in which you design the missile you want to use. This is connected through either an arm, which rotates to load the missile onto the gantry, or a gravity-fed rack for use on side-launched missiles. The missile fabricator creates a missile every x amount of time, based on the missile size and components, and you can have multiple per launchpad (up to 4, though it could instead be 3 if it is assumed that one wall takes up the gantry). You can set the fire rate in the gantry, so that the missile fabricators will stagger the time that they load the missile.
I called this ADvanced missiles system because of that Reason, its not really supposed to be simple, I want missile more like they actually are.

Yeah, I'm thinking of up to 3x3m racks, I just didn't mention it :/ Big Grin

The Skin/wall being applied for the entire missile except for things like radomes, that would work aswell most like, having a half stealth half Metal missile doesn't really make sense.
also the Frag ring would also only be able to be put on HE warheads.

The way the loading system can be made is non plus ultra to be honest XD
I like you suggestion on that though
Actually, I'm attempting to learn how to do mods in FTD to do a mod with skyer's missile suggestion
That would be pretty cool. A mod will allow player testing to figure out feasibility before it hits the main game.
Sounds interesting as an extra system for a mod Smile. I'd chose a different name instead of AMS though as its generally accepted as anti-missile-system Tongue
AMC? Advanced missile controler?
AGS? Advanced guided (weapon)controler?
GWS? Guided weapon controler?
Which do you like?
Any better suggestioss?
I dunno, pick something fun perhaps. The Mmm- multiple missile mayhem Smile
GWS-guided weapon system would work if you wanted it to be more serious though Smile
I think that AMS would be fine, sorta like APS (otherwise known as artillery-propelled snakes). I've never seen AMS used as anti-missile system here, typically CIWS or LAMS are used in its place.

GWS would also fit the normal missiles, since both are guided, so I don't think it would work so well.
How about simply what it is? SMS- subcomponent missile system, then you can happily send a few dozen SMS's as an opening to agressive diplomacy Smile
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's