From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: Super Vibrating Rail-gun Barrel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know does this thing will cause inaccurate? or it doesn't?

btw, it's surely causing some serious lag and a lot weird sound. I have i7-4770 CPU and a good graphic card (GTX 1070ti) but, GPU's cooling fan began ramping up when rail-gun start firing...
Your target bobs up and down slightly causing the AI on your test platform to adjust it's aim for the movement (aiming high because it expects the target to keep going up, and then aiming down because it expects the target to keep going down).

Is it an issue? -> No, it appears to be working as intended.

Can it be fixed? -> Yes, either shoot at a non-bobbing target or adjust the detection system on your test platform to be more lenient to micro adjustments in the target's movement.
(2018-05-18 12:59 PM)TheLightLOD Wrote: [ -> ]Can it be fixed? -> Yes, either shoot at a non-bobbing target or adjust the detection system on your test platform to be more lenient to micro adjustments in the target's movement.

I thought that was the reason, but after I use my very stable PID HA thing to test. The barrel still shaking so much.

and about detection, I was using detect view tool to see was that a problem. But with it error around 0~4m, I don't think that is a problem.

(2018-05-18 12:59 PM)TheLightLOD Wrote: [ -> ]Is it an issue? -> No, it appears to be working as intended.

well... now, It is actually my first very inaccurate FBT...even I turn off it warp drive.

The old Dimension never miss shot with this range and speed if target doesn't warp.

You can watch this video that I recorded.

in the video, I tried turn auto detection to 100%, but it still happend...

And another thing, current railgun full charge time is under 0.0664 second. and fire rate is 900rpm which made it inaccuracy radius around 0.2° . so charge time also not a problem I think.
I suspect this is a combination of 2 effects that i've noticed myself

1. detection system recalculating vehicle position and suspected position several times a second, shifting the aim point
2. targeting system randomly selecting a new block to target.

add to this the movement of the target and you get excessive jitter.
(2018-05-19 06:51 AM)Lincrono Wrote: [ -> ]I suspect this is a combination of 2 effects that i've noticed myself

1. detection system recalculating vehicle position and suspected position several times a second, shifting the aim point
2. targeting system randomly selecting a new block to target.

add to this the movement of the target and you get excessive jitter.

Maybe you're right. I set the range calculating frequency from 1 second up to 1.5 second. It improved some missing shot, but still missing some.

And I turn off it warp drive and make it completely stationary. then, go to Qualification Testing to see is that any movement been a problem.

[attachment=50527]
with this picture, it showed there are no horizontal accurate problem. An actual 0.2 degree inaccurate.
[attachment=50528]
but I looked at vertical accurate... it's horribly missing a lot shot...

then, I realize. because rail magnet increase shell speed only need really short time, from 250m/s ramp up to 493m/s in 0.0664 second. This is a lot speed change. so I guess, APS originally is turning for 250m/s but suddenly shell speed rocket to 493m/s. So it's barrel turning again and again cause that jitter.

If someone want to take a look at, here's the BP. Smile
(2018-05-19 09:34 AM)Xalinsky Wrote: [ -> ]then, I realize. because rail magnet increase shell speed only need really short time, from 250m/s ramp up to 493m/s in 0.0664 second. This is a lot speed change. so I guess, APS originally is turning for 250m/s but suddenly shell speed rocket to 493m/s. So it's barrel turning again and again cause that jitter.

If someone want to take a look at, here's the BP. Smile

I don't believe what you describe here actually happens. Barrel rotation is a purely visual effect and the speed ramp *might* be an issue. an easy way to test this is to lower the firing speed so that the gun has a clear pause after the rail charge is back to 100%.
(2018-05-19 10:38 PM)Lincrono Wrote: [ -> ]I don't believe what you describe here actually happens. Barrel rotation is a purely visual effect and the speed ramp *might* be an issue. an easy way to test this is to lower the firing speed so that the gun has a clear pause after the rail charge is back to 100%.

I'm not mean "Barrel spinning". I was mean slow shell need angle to actually hit the target. So barrel need "turning" for that angle.

If you turn off Barrel spin, you will be more clearly see it jitters.

I made another version without any railgun things to prevent someone question about I messed up other setting but not railgun itself.

yes, it doesn't do that stupid jitter again. and don't miss shot when fighting same vehicle.

But it lose a lot of damage. I'm a little disappoint how this turns out... Sad
(2018-05-20 05:02 AM)Xalinsky Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-05-19 10:38 PM)Lincrono Wrote: [ -> ]I don't believe what you describe here actually happens. Barrel rotation is a purely visual effect and the speed ramp *might* be an issue. an easy way to test this is to lower the firing speed so that the gun has a clear pause after the rail charge is back to 100%.

I'm not mean "Barrel spinning". I was mean slow shell need angle to actually hit the target. So barrel need "turning" for that angle.

If you turn off Barrel spin, you will be more clearly see it jitters.

I made another version without any railgun things to prevent someone question about I messed up other setting but not railgun itself.

yes, it doesn't do that stupid jitter again. and don't miss shot when fighting same vehicle.

But it lose a lot of damage. I'm a little disappoint how this turns out... Sad

if removing the rails eliminates the jitter then perhaps it is the gun readjusting for the vastly different speeds. I work a lot with railguns and usually only had this issue when using random aim points (no aimpoint card) or with craft big enough for the detection to generate noticeable differences in target position between calculations. Given that i've had this issue on large non-railgun cannons speed was never a suspected contributor but in your case it might be. I also tend to work with much lower rate of fire guns. perhaps lowering the rate of fire to the point where it has a little time to settle on the target after reaching 100% charge would help?
(2018-05-20 01:59 PM)Lincrono Wrote: [ -> ]perhaps lowering the rate of fire to the point where it has a little time to settle on the target after reaching 100% charge would help?

It would be.

But I think reduce that huge shell speed changing also important.

So I did that, and it didn't do that again even with same fire rate and same charge time.
Reference URL's