From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: Should there be a midway between wood and metal?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In recent updates, we've seen huge buffs to metal, as well as a price increase of alloy. For early game, metal is pretty expensive, but wood is much of the time inadequate. What do people think about a new type of block, perhaps ironclad or something? It would have a price of 3, have a lower AP of 7 or 8, and only have a bonus of half explosive damage, instead of quarter damage as metal gets.
You could even call it stone.

Or less facetiously, expand stone& call it composite or ceramic.
Metal reinforced wood maybe?
(2017-10-12 09:47 AM)Richard Dastardly Wrote: [ -> ]You could even call it stone.

Or less facetiously, expand stone& call it composite or ceramic.

Stone is very heavy and doesn't have a particularly good AP, as well as having no bonus against explosives. Also, no sloped blocks to build ship.
(2017-10-12 12:21 PM)Shaun Wrote: [ -> ]Stone is very heavy and doesn't have a particularly good AP, as well as having no bonus against explosives. Also, no sloped blocks to build ship.

Stone has an AP of 7, just like you asked for - it also has a price of 2, which is even less, and it has 50 less health than *metal*, it's more than alloy. It doesn't currently have an explosive damage reduction ( but again, has a lot of health ) but has complete EMP protection instead. It has the same weight & bouyancy as metal. The question is do you want to trade EMP protection for explosive reduction.

Shaped blocks is irrelevant - you wanted an entire new material which would have to have shaped blocks created anyway, it could just as well be done for composite.
Arent composite armors more expensive? Since theyre made of multiple layers of materials of which one is often steel?
(2017-10-12 09:22 AM)Shaun Wrote: [ -> ]have a lower AP of 7 or 8, and only have a bonus of half explosive damage, instead of quarter damage as metal gets.

HE damage is a function of armor, there is no special reduction stat.
As Richard Dastardly already said: you just described a weaker stone variant.
(2017-10-12 12:57 PM)Skyer Wrote: [ -> ]Arent composite armors more expensive? Since theyre made of multiple layers of materials of which one is often steel?

Composite covers all sorts of materials - there's a big difference between Chobham armour & CFRP, for instance. There seems to be some interesting ideas about composite-metal hulls which is worth some thought ( we can already do that by using different blocks of course but as a single layer it might be an idea ). What I had in mind was some sort of ceramic mix with something to stop it shattering so easily ( so it's still pretty heavy ) but looking around at materials, ceramic reinforced fibre materials are generally used on things like spaceship heatshields or lining the combustion chamber for jet engines, so that might be a bit overkill Tongue

Straight-up carbon fibre is being used for some ships but it's not really anything like stone - lighter, quite strong & tough ( look at how strong aircraft parts made of it are ) but reinforced plastics fracture rather than bend, so I suppose that would translate to fairly low health and high AC. Which is exactly what alloy is already. Along with the low radar return.

So, maybe metal-composite, less health than pure metal, weighs less, less AC ( more brittle ), technically it'd cost more but we can just say it's thinner or something, is still EMP proof.

Or, just make a full range of stone blocks & accept making ships of stone is something that happens Tongue
Tacking on EMP-proofness to a metal-metal composite seems like shopping list construction--it makes no sense with the fluff, and I think it a good thing that passive EMP construction requires nontrivial tradeoffs.

Also, because of how stacking works it is problematic to introduce materials with HP/AC ratios very different from metal (which we already see with stone where cost is more important than weight)--if costed for their own stats they can become OP in layered armor.
I can't find precise details of what they're trying, but it's not metal-metal composite - more like non-metallic fibre material ( ceramic or cf or something else, no idea ) & metal sandwich in some way. Whether that's metal plate & coating layers or something more like tank armour with metal weave layered in, I don't know, but it would seem that it should at least have a good chance of not being conductive. Also probably quite low radar return, I'd imagine.

I'm actually trying to come up with a modern material that feel close to stone stats with interesting properties, rather than thinking what stats ultramodern experiments would have. Even if it's just a cosmetic rebranding so we feel less silly using the blocks Smile but there may be something more interesting and ideal around.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's