From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: DDG-257 USS Farragut
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"Incorporating lessons learned from the construction of the Chevalier-class DDG, the DDG-257 Farragut-class is the latest in my line of medium sized guided missile destroyers. Whereas the Chevalier relied primarily on it's main battery of CRAM cannons to do the bulk of its damage up close and personal, the Farragut prefers to keep its foes at a distance.

Armed with a battery of 86 VLS launched ASMs, 12 Turreted heavy torpedoes, 8 SAMs, and 1 179mm ACC, she is capable of unleashing a withering barrage of long range missile fire from ranges of up to 2.5km. Her LAMS, mounted in the amidships stack, is capable of defending against light-moderate missile threats, and lighter CRAM shells alike. A cluster of flare CMS launchers mounted forward provide an additional defense against IR-seeker missiles.

Against airships and surface vessels, the Farragut-class DDG is a potent threat."

-Jayne's Battling Boats

So here's my second attempt at shipbuilding, after taking a week to learn more and plan out what I wanted. My last ship was pretty mediocre in combat with the CRAM cannons, and it's missiles were practically an afterthought. This ship is the opposite, where the missiles are the star of the show in a big way. It's got better compartmentalization and armoring than my last ship, and with the better propeller mod installed, she's a hell of a lot faster. Let me know what you all think.
Ooooooh pretties.
The main gun is nicely shaped, also like the large amount of freeboard on this build. Things I don't quite understand is why you've fitted those fuel guzzling engines while you have all the space in the world to get a good fuel efficient engine in there with the same amount of output. And those torpedo launchers are just meh. Also: it could do with a dab of paint on the insides and perhaps some nice filling of the internals.

In all; nicely done Smile
n i c e
I like it. Nice hull shape and good waterline, and the missiles sure give my LAMS a tough time. I would suggest having it rely less on repair bots though and add some shields and maybe a LAMS, because they absolutely guzzle resource. Your ammo stores are also waaaaay too massive. Consider replacing one of the larger stores with some more engine, and using ammo processors to produce more. They do use a lot of resource but so does constantly repairing a block of 9000 ammo after it blows up. Also, that engine in the back. Please, PLEASE for the love of God, use carburetors and pistons, or at the very least set it up so that the pistons each share two fuel injectors with other pistons. I don't mean to sound rude but the current engines are neither space efficient nor fuel efficient for their power. If you want, I'll upgrade them for you!
(2017-09-11 11:36 PM)Eon Wrote: [ -> ]I like it. Nice hull shape and good waterline, and the missiles sure give my LAMS a tough time. I would suggest having it rely less on repair bots though and add some shields and maybe a LAMS, because they absolutely guzzle resource. Your ammo stores are also waaaaay too massive. Consider replacing one of the larger stores with some more engine, and using ammo processors to produce more. They do use a lot of resource but so does constantly repairing a block of 9000 ammo after it blows up. Also, that engine in the back. Please, PLEASE for the love of God, use carburetors and pistons, or at the very least set it up so that the pistons each share two fuel injectors with other pistons. I don't mean to sound rude but the current engines are neither space efficient nor fuel efficient for their power. If you want, I'll upgrade them for you!

I will admit that the current aft engines were more of a placeholder than anything else. My engine design skills still need a ways to go before I know the first thing about making efficient engines. Is there a metric that I should be using to evaluate my current engine power builds? I'd love to power both main propulsion and the LAMS without eating a quarter of a dinosaur every second.

I'll also look into redesigning the main magazines and integrating more ammo processors. I'm trying to go shields free on these irl-inspired builds as more of a personal choice, but I'd be down for any non-shield alternatives to a buttload of repair bots. I'm looking into heavier use of flares and sonar buoy launchers to spoof incoming missiles and torpedoes, and the current LAMS I've got seems adequate for the stuff that makes it past those for now. That'll still probably leave me vulnerable to beam riders, but screw it I like having weaknesses to worry about.

Thanks for the input everyone! Be on the lookout for the Flight IA retrofit that'll address all the issues everyone brings up!
For any reasonable medium size ship, 340-400ish power per fuel ( even for small ships that's also useful ). I have some flattish 1288ppf engines but they're not that power dense, so I don't use them that often. Engine metrics are generally power per fuel, and power per bounding box ( PPBB ) or power per block ( PPB ).

I've managed to run a useful LAMS & level 3 layered shields from a 5500 power 340ish ppf engine for a 67m ship - I'd generally allow 7500 power per 4 LAMS nodes though ( more or less ignoring duplicate nodes ). If you ignore shields you're going to have to use some fairly hefty armour ( alloy is ok, but the current armour model suggests the strongest blocks on the outside now ) & probably add a spall liner layer.

As for the current ship - killed it by AI death without *that* much damage done, would advise a ( another? ) backup AI somewhere.
Nice Arleigh burke class Tongue
And Jayne's battling boat... lol nice reference.
it looks great BTW.
Reference URL's