From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: Make steam engines need smokestacks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Exactly what the title says, each row of boilers would need to be ducted up to a smokestack, unlike internal combustion engines, these ducts would have a limit of how much exhaust would be able to flow through them, meaning ships with larger engines would need more and/or larger smokestacks.

In addition to this, i suggest buffing steam engines somewhat to compensate for the added hassle of smokestacks. Efficiency should be slightly better then fuel engines with a good refinery, but slightly less space efficient.
Right now, steam engines are vague enough to be used as both high and low tech, which is a good thing, but this would make them a lot more low tech, so I personally don't support it. It would discourage boiler spam, I guess. This is about the "need", if it was "use smokestacks for better efficiency and lower power density" or something I would be all for it! Smile
Steam engines are pretty much 25% done at this stage of the game, mainly concerning balance and mechanics that make them up.

-2m pistons are useless when compared to 4m ones since they're identical apart from the fact the bigger ones need 50% less piping and 50% less crank shafts to achieve the same results

-Large turbines are completely useless when compared to small and compact turbine pieces since you can achieve stupidly fast ramp up times with the same volume of turbine used with those at the meager cost of some more blocks

-large boiler controllers are useless since small ones are able to control large boilers as well at attraction of the large one's volume and weight.

-we already have "smoke stacks" as in release valves but they're useless on the most optimized systems. And even if you needed them, they're so pathetically weak you'd have to slap them all over the place needing to add more pipe volume and in so doing g hurting tamp up times. The release valves also work in closed spaces.

-Steam starts out completely cold at spawn making only absurdly fast ramp up engines viable

Due to various combinations of the above factors we currently have a power source that is both impractical and broken if built correctly, wich can achieve stupidly good power densities at the cost of an even greater material inefficiency than full injector engines.

I assume steam was meant to both have the option of being a very material efficient source if engine power or a much less efficient power source that had sheer output in mind. We can currently have the latter now wich leads to even more options to make underwhelming weapon types like lasers useful but also makes any sort of injector engine completely useless by comparison apart from having some readybengine power at spawn.

I've built a 400k Power (under full workload) steam engine monstrosity already but I would've preferred to use buffed fuel engines instead or hell even super volatile power sources like nuclear reactors if they ever get integrated into the base game. I'm favourable of rebalancing power outputs and efficiency boh types of engines to drop steam down to low power density high material efficiency and make fuel engines have more output putting them on top; but I guess that's a talk we should bebhavibg with Nick when he asks for feedback on balance changes before stable release.
Steam currently magically eats everything - exhaust steam, exhaust heat, all heat; fuel engines don't, so steam shouldn't - if you want a cold source of energy then fork out for RTGs. Steam would still have it's energy density bonus if you had exhaust, and you could use exhaust in a feedback loop to raise burn rate faster - plus exhaust steam would lead to compounding & then it's efficiency goes up.

But, I suspect this will come - I doubt fireboxes are really there to be cosmetic. Maybe one day we'll get nuclear reactors as alternatives to boilers.
Aren't steam engines already using closed loop fission reactions in the boilers?

Also small pistons useless? Since when?
Small pistons ramp up faster and 2 pistons going into 2 seperate drives gives you both the most resource efficient and the most compact steam engine (outputs 2k engine drive for 19volume...
(2017-01-10 03:15 PM)amimai Wrote: [ -> ]Aren't steam engines already using closed loop fission reactions in the boilers?

Hehe I guess that would make sense given the current nature of them, would even make my partially/predominantly steam powered Scarlet Dawn units more lore friendly xD
I like the idea of adding exhaust ductwork/funnels to steam engines, but would rather it be an optional configuration to tailor your ship's powerplant to your preferences vice a necessity. For now, I bring steam piping up from the engineering spaces and run a line up the front of my funnels with a pressure relief valve on top to represent the ship's "whistle."

As soon as steam engines came out I preferred them over fuel ones, as they fill out engineering spaces and actually make your interiors busy like a real ship's.
I like this thread. (Y)
+1 for the Smokestack suggestion. Although A closed loop option (nuclear powered?) is very interesting, especially for stealth- or spacecraft.

Efficiency should be slightly better then fuel engines with a good refinery, but slightly less space efficient.
What? No. Efficiency should still be poorer than fuel engines, what else would be the point to fitting a fuel engine anymore on a large ship? Like modern day navies, the choice should be between a normal dieselfuel setup, or a gasturbine engine (in our case steam) that will power the ship. The first has a lower powerdensity but is cheaper to run, the latter more powerdense but more expensive. FtD should be no different.
Reference URL's