From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: Guaibee's Useful (and experimental) Fuel Engine Platform
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hello everyone! After the end of exams today, I spared some time to share some fuel engines I have made and collected ever since I started my adventure into engine tetris.

Here I present the 'Useful Fuel Engine Platform', with a bunch of designs that you may hopefully find useful... except under a closer look, some of the designs I've included on this platform is underperforming. I've decided to leave them on there (not because I'm lazy or anything) as failed experiments, for investigation by interested individuals to hopefully make them work.

[Image: 2017-03-17_1.png]

The platform is divided into three levels:
'Red zone', where the designs with higher power density but still decent efficiency reside;
'Yellow zone', where the most common efficient engines can be found;
and 'Green zone', the environmentalist's wet dream, where ultra efficient designs are displayed.
I've also decided to add a 'Grey zone' for educational purposes, where I explain the principle behind all the inline turbos on this platform.
New 'Magenta zone' for smaller standalone engines that do not fit in the other zones.
New Black section on top of 'Red zone', with some fearsome beasts lurking... whatever would they be?

Feel free to use the engines on the platform (until the original creators complain and I have to remove them or something), though I know most people have forgotten about fuel engines and learned to embrace steam.

Update: added new high power engine.
Update 2: added a new 'Magenta zone' with smaller engines I built (hopefully I can get other people's designs onboard).
Update 3: added new moderate efficiency engines, including (finally) a replacement for the blueline, made by Aner_Dyfan (with modifications). A new black section appeared atop the 'Red zone'... what are those on top?
Update 4: added new moderate/high efficiency engine, modified/fixed: 5x6x14 at green zone (now 5x6x12), 5x9x6 at red zone (improved piping; now 5x9x10 displayed).
Update 5: new engines at Magenta, Yellow and Green zone, plus various fixes and improvements (Green zone engines are segmented now, and all consume no fuel under 100% load).
Update 6: new engine at Yellow zone, improvements to new 5x5x7 and 5x5x12 engines, various exhaust fixes.
Update 7: expansion of Green zone, addition of 'Doormat' and 'Carpet' engines; even more exhaust fixes; repiping of the inline example at Grey zone.
Update 8: Quality-of-life improvements (added fortress controller for relocation, added complex controller/ACBs for changing engine RPM; thanks to gruntmaster1); improvements to 5x3x(7+4n) engine in Yellow zone (thanks to Draegloth).
Update 9: technological breakthrough on the Blueline-improvement pushes the power density even further and brings the power of the 5x5x7 and 5x5x12 up to 4100 and 7300 respectively (original improvement from workshop with modifications, thanks to Aner Dyfan for the 5x5x12 and extendable version); new 7x5 cross section engines at Red and Yellow zone.
Update 10: Fixed alternate 5x5x(9+4n) engine cross section, added new 5x5x5 injector cluster.
Update 11: New 6x5xn engine and 5x5x2n engine in red zone, 6x5x3n stacked version of the doormat and new 7x7x8 engine in green zone.
I definitely haven't forgotten! I literally just now stuffed one of your 5x5 X engines into something. I know how turbos perform, I'm just not yet aware of less obvious things like best number of exhaust per cyl...

*yoink*
Nice! Glad to see a 6400 as well as a smaller engine with the same 1288ppf of the 3200 blueline, since that is pretty much all I use, but I had trouble extending it. Your side by side of the Herc in the greyzone was really helpful as well, I have a better grasp how to chain inlines myself now after messing with that. Thanks!
Happy to know the engines are proving their worth, and the Grey zone I added at the last minute are being useful. I'll try to add more engine designs onto the platform if I can find them, and hopefully the knowledge of engine tetris helps to improve the FtD experience.
I'll definitely take a look at these when I'm at the pc Smile
There have been a few updates to this platform, and I think I should let people know in case they're still on the first version.

Update: added new high power engine.
Update 2: added a new 'Magenta zone' with smaller engines I built (hopefully I can get other people's designs onboard).
Update 3: added new moderate efficiency engines, including (finally) a replacement for the blueline, made by Aner_Dyfan (with modifications). A new black section appeared atop the 'Red zone'... what are those on top?
Not too used to consecutive posts, but I've been checking the engines on the platform for further improvements (and fix some weirdly placed stuff) while I look for new designs. The changes will be up with the next version (along with at least 1 new design).
Because of the exhaust placement in Aner_Dyfans engines, they might as well be 1 block longer than they actually are, so meh.
I won't be replacing my bluelines anytime soon.
Are you talking about how the exhaust of the new engines are piped horizontally out of the head section, while the blueline has it piped upwards near the tail? That is easily remedied with a bit of rearrangement, and I can provide you with the BP of that engine directly. But since it does not actually affect the performance in any way, I may or may not add this alternate version to the platform.
Yeah, I am never sure where it is safe to move the exhaust around. My own tinkering with the blueline (trying to shrink or extend) was disasterous, so I had left it alone, but I typically rotate it and pipe it out the bottom of the hull.
Thanks! This is much more useful.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Reference URL's