From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: [TG] HQ mech without a name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I started making a mech, built it too big, then remade it. Now it is about half finished (some colors are missing, the upper part needs to look a lot better (most of it is only a placeholder right now, I think), and the lower part a little better).

Currently it has spawning issues (upper part spawns in the lower part, doesnt do any damage, but would be very bad in the campaign Big Grin).

I am submitting this because I need someone to tell me what I should improve, besides the looks (and because I fear that I made a big mistake somewhere and that I might have to start over because of that). It is stronger than the Juggernaut already (fought it 3 times, once with 2 other mechs on its side, all wins, but I might have a few too many repair tentacles), and I am adding some more weapons

Edit: it can defeat every Twin Guard enemy (I only let it fight the tank category) (enemy mechs in eros and thanatos pairs) except for the nemesis. As was to be expected. whoever designed that thing knew what he was doing, which I cant say about myself Smile

EDIT: significantly improved the upper part, improved the looks of the lower part a little (old files removed, new files attached).

It has 1000 volume too much currently tough, so I will have to change some more things.
this thing would probably look a lot better with some more detailing and ribbing on the chest and the left APS.
also: those semi-transparent shields on the sides of the base make it really vulnerable to even a single 30mm inertial fused frag shot
PS: you know that drones can't repair their mothership, do you? (the mech body can't repair the base if it's spawned with a subvehicle spawner)
(2016-11-21 12:37 PM)bokke1010 Wrote: [ -> ]this thing would probably look a lot better with some more detailing and ribbing on the chest and the left APS.
also: those semi-transparent shields on the sides of the base make it really vulnerable to even a single 30mm inertial fused frag shot
PS: you know that drones can't repair their mothership, do you? (the mech body can't repair the base if it's spawned with a subvehicle spawner)

The upper body was mostly a placeholder until now, all its weapons have been reworked. It does look better now (see attachment), but the chest area is not finished yet (and the head, and the missile launcher on the back), and I will improve the rest too. The shields on the side are there because I wanted to make it look at least a little like it was some kind of carrier for drones (I planned to add fangs or some other small aircraft to them) or mothership. I did realize that they made it vulnerable, but not that they made it that vulnerable (I thought that only a few people would use frag shells.) I guess I will have to remove them Sad

I know that the mech body cant repair the lower part, but I do not know how to make those two things spawn in together as a single unit without the lower being a mothership. The repair tentacles on the upper part are mostly there for decoration and to repair other friendly units in the area, but if there is a way to make them spawn in together without the upper part being a subvehicle, I would like to know it. It is still a few blocks above the volume limit, so maybe removing the bays at the sides will make it a little smaller.

PS: do those drone bays at the sides really make it that much more vulnerable? they have a layer of metal around them after all (on the inside), just like the rest of the vehicle. everything on the lower part has one layer of metal armor on it. the only thing that should make it more vulnerable is aoe shells, like flak or he, exploding in the bay, which would make them destroy more, right? Or am I being stupid again?
I have updated the upper body again. Changes:
-the missiles in the chest are now bigger (the spin blocks revealing them were useless
in combat and did not really look that good, so I reworked that part)
-the head looks better, and is now "thinking", thanks to a steam engine with a few cylinders inside it
-the body has some more ribbing and has been recolored, looks better now
-the inertial fused frag cannon on the left arm has been replaced with 2 cram cannons. It was too explosive. the cram cannons have some emp and inertial fuses as well, so they should work against shields, too.

And the volume has decreased a little. Not much though Sad
Next version
-No missile launcher on the back of the torso anymore, some smaller missiles inside the body added
-improved the engines, has more power for lasers and shields now
-added shields to the weapons, seems to have improved their durability in combat
-colored and recolored more of the torso
-the missile turret being "built" on the lower part can now reload thanks to some ammunition added to it
- volume of the upper part decreased by 300, of the lower part by 100. Now it is less far above the volume limit (is that small enough now? all the volume above the limit is from decoration, after all)

Please tell me what to improve (the torso is getting some more ribbing across it as all of it is currently only vertical, apart from that)

Edit 1: It now has horizontal ribbing, blueprint updated. Not the picture though, I forgot to take a screenshot before closing the game and now I am too lazy to open it again.
Edit 2: the turret on the lower part is mostly for decoration as its rockets are not very strong, If the mech is still too large, I will remove it together with its ammunition.

I am uploading these blueprints in two parts as I would probably not be able to see through all the things I built otherwise.
Checked the latest version trough. It has some interesting design choices such as the lower hull's intake-electric engine setup, but it's rather flawed in its current configuration:

-Over the volume limit: TG HQ is 10-12k volume in a combined mecha, this thing is just over 13k
-Repair bots and HA need to be removed, though you can keep the latter around the docking beam. You've read the guidelines, right?
-Separate BPs, should be saved into one via a subvehicle spawner
-Wobbly, needs stabilization
-Superfluous AI cards in the base, such as two land AI cards and targeting cards which the base doesn't need
-Lacks proper detection: Torso needs more than just 90-degree stuff, base seems to be lacking detection altogether
-Flares need to be set up to a proper munition warner system
-Very minor shielding which is too close to the body, needs to provide a proper coverage
-Needs additional detailing: While it's actually not half bad looking, it's a bit crude. Could use a better paintjob and decoshields to cover the missiles at the front. I suggest checking in-game designs for cues

All in all it's not fit in its current condition, but with some elbow grease it could be made into a viable submission. I didn't do any combat tests due to the lacking detection, so no feedback on that department yet.
(2016-11-23 03:08 PM)BaronBaconeer Wrote: [ -> ]Checked the latest version trough. It has some interesting design choices such as the lower hull's intake-electric engine setup, but it's rather flawed in its current configuration:

-Over the volume limit: TG HQ is 10-12k volume in a combined mecha, this thing is just over 13k
-Repair bots and HA need to be removed, though you can keep the latter around the docking beam. You've read the guidelines, right?
-Separate BPs, should be saved into one via a subvehicle spawner
-Wobbly, needs stabilization
-Superfluous AI cards in the base, such as two land AI cards and targeting cards which the base doesn't need
-Lacks proper detection: Torso needs more than just 90-degree stuff, base seems to be lacking detection altogether
-Flares need to be set up to a proper munition warner system
-Very minor shielding which is too close to the body, needs to provide a proper coverage
-Needs additional detailing: While it's actually not half bad looking, it's a bit crude. Could use a better paintjob and decoshields to cover the missiles at the front. I suggest checking in-game designs for cues

All in all it's not fit in its current condition, but with some elbow grease it could be made into a viable submission. I didn't do any combat tests due to the lacking detection, so no feedback on that department yet.

Noted. I thought the guidelines said that the repair bots are banned, but not generally on the twin guard because of the repair tentacles, guess I remembered that wrongly. Is heavy armor really forbidden completely? Some of the TG designs in the game have some, so I thought I could use about as much as those.
I have reduced the size of the lower and upper part by about 1000 Volume, but it is still above 12000 (the "just over 13000" was a little too optimistic"). I have removed all the repair bots and heavy armor except for that around and on the docking turret in the lower part, and some in the upper part, but left most of the heavy armor that reinforces vulnerable parts on the upper part (I need to learn more words with the same meaning as "part".) (some of the other mechs in the TG use more heavy armor than my robot currently does, so that should not be too bad, right?). Other changes:
-both the upper and lower part have better shielding and better engines now.
-the lower part is more stable now(doesnt touch the ground on even terrain anymore, and only very infrequently on uneven terrain)
-the lower part has working detection systems in all directions, and munition and laser warners.
-the upper part has munition warners on it, and the flares are set to fire if enemy missiles come closer than 300 metres (seems to work better than 350) As long as the lower part has its intra vehicle transmitter, the upper should not need detection systems itself.

EDIT (all of this is about the upper part): I removed one of the advanced cannons on the left arm and made the other one a little stronger. I added more ribbing, shields and engine power, and removed some armor. The total volume is now about 400 lower, but still at 12.500. I dont think I can make the torso any smaller. It seems to be a little weaker in dealing damage, but much better in surviving it now. (took a little longer to kill the vehicles I tested it against, but was in much better shape afterwards, with repair tentacles on the lower part removed). The back looks better as well, and the lasers are now armored with metal instead of glass.

Either it can stay at about this volume (painting and ribbing still has to be improved, apart from that), or I will have to make the lower part smaller again ( which would be a shame, I would have to really change things then Big Grin).

Also, I will upload the whole thing as a single blueprint as soon as it is finsished. I have improved on the stabilizazion issues again, but I think I like the way it currently is, as that seems to make it harder to hit for enemies. The main problem was touching the ground, after all, and that doesnt happen on even and slightly uneven terrain anymore (It works on the map square where I encountered the Juggernaut, and on those around it).

EDIT 2: I added pitch and roll PIDs to the base to stabilize it (altitude would be a bad idea). It is now much more stable. I might improve the PIDs in the future, but it already is better than most other hovercraft enemies I have seen so far. Blueprint updated.
EDIT 3: The game lied to me, it is still unstable with the pids, I will probably have to add more dediblades. I added a few wheels to it for now, so it can now drive and fly, depending on where it is. Blueprint updated.
I will continue to work on this, but i need someone to tell me what to improve on the currently uploaded version (apart from the stability, adding more dediblades solves that problem).
I've scrapped the old base and made a new one. It is currently at 3800 volume, so the robot is at 11000 volume in total. I finally managed to make it small enough.
It should fulfill all the requirements (It has no shielding right now, I am uploading this because I want to know if it looks good enough, not for actual combat testing, although that would work if it can be stationary, detection equipment is working).

It has 2 problems atm: this thing wont stay stable, and for some reason the ai has problems with turning.

I added a picture of the current version of the vehicle, and one of the interior.

EDIT: both problems are solved. Also, I am and idiot, but that is nothing new for me Big Grin

It also has a full shield bubble with str 6 shields (str 8 above the ion thrusters) now, so combat testing is possible from now on. Added another picture as well.

EDIT 2: I am not sure if enemies in the campaign are spawned in with full batteries, so I added two small fuel engines which are meant to keep the shields, dediblades and thrusters working in the first few seconds of battle until the steam engines are strong enough to load the batteries fast enough to let the electric engines work, and then overheat (to save the fuel for smoke dispensers).
I also added 2 pictures of my poor mech after defeating a Chaos.

EDIT 3: added more engine power and resource storage to the torso, strengthened some of its shields, improved its looks very slightly.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's